Rebuilding and reopening an iconic educational facility that has been a NJ landmark for 70+ years is no easy task! Most of the buildings which date back to the late 1930s, are in need of repair after being unoccupied for over a year. Necessary program supplies need to be replaced, as do tools and equipment. Under our access agreement granted by NJDEP, the Friends of NJSOC are operating the facility with volunteer staff.
How Can You Help?
- Become a Friends of NJSOC member.
- Subscribe to receive email updates.
- Choose Friends of NJSOC as your designated charity when you shop on Amazon. Amazon will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases.
- Join a committee*.
- Become a volunteer.
The Program Committee is identifying programs that would be unique to the NJSOC but could be seen as extensions to the NJDEP’s existing programming. We’d like to continue NJSOC’s legacy of providing quality environmental programming, while creating and sustaining a revenue stream, and keeping the NJSOC in the public eye.
The Legislation Committee is updating the existing legislation that established NJSOC as an environmental field center in perpetuity. We need help in developing a strategy to gain ongoing public and legislative support.
The Fundraising Committee needs members who can identify and establish sustainable sources of funding, including foundation support, individual donors and investors, and grant opportunities.
The Social Media/Communications Committee is responsible for creating content and messaging about programs, events, and initiatives to increase visibility and awareness of the School of Conservation.
*Not in NJ? No problem! Our committees meet virtually!
- Lead a program. We welcome volunteers to lead programs at NJSOC that support our mission. Submit your ideas for consideration for our program calendar.
- Participate in service projects.
- Help us connect with businesses and organizations with the skills and resources to help us rebuild/maintain both our programs and facilities.
- Run a personal fundraiser. Share your passion for NJSOC with your friends and help to raise needed funds. Once the Friends’ access agreement is in place, we will be better able to assess what our specific needs are.
- Share your talents and ideas. Are you skilled in public relations, social media content development, fundraising, photography, maintenance, marketing, administration, or any other area that you would be willing to apply to the needs of NJSOC? Let us know!
We know that hundreds of thousands of New Jersey residents have participated in programs at NJSOC and for many of them, NJSOC holds a special place in their hearts. You… or your children… or your parents… may be among that group. If you are interested in finding a way to “give back” to the School of Conservation, please submit a volunteer application and we will be happy to help make that happen. The School of Conservation needs you now!